Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Weekly Homebrew: A long day

I have another really long day today, and had a long day yesterday. I am hoping to have some actual content this week, but I've only got two paragraphs actually written so far. I am very glad to be working again though. I'l give you a taste of what I had in store for the my Weekly Homebrew post.

Father Stephen and the Fingerbone of St. Cuthbert:
A bit of inspiration for Father Stephen
Father Stephen is the village priest. He is in charge of a small chapel. In my game it is simply dedicated to God since it is an Arthurian game. However any good deity would work. Bahamut or Pelor would make especially fine choices for this. Father Stephen is a devout worshiper and genuinely cares about his flock. He would work well as a patron of a divine PC. In my game he also has an assistant the players haven't met so that I can provide them a companion character if they need one or to give them a tie to the world if they decide to create a new PC who uses the Divine Power source.

Father Stephen is a ritual caster and can provide a blessing to the PC's which could include a small mechanical benefit. As an example in my game the players suspected they were going to be fighting fey creatures so I allowed Father Stephen to bless them with a +1 to attack rolls and damage rolls against fey creatures until their next extended rest. I was planning a tough encounter and the bonus certainly aided them, even if it wasn't the difference between life and death.

Cadwr
In addition to his responsibilities as a chaplain, Father Stephen also guards a powerful relic, the Fingerbone of St. Cuthbert. The Fingerbone of St. Cuthbert is all that remains (or is it?) of a powerful paladin who was later sainted. So far the only mechanical benefit I have shown the players of the fingerbone is it's ability to somehow negate Fey Magic. I'm not exactly sure how I want to describe it in game terms, but the players had found some coins that were being used as scry sensors by a powerful fey creature and the fingerbone was able to destroy the link the fey had to the coins. One thing I am considering is to allow a PC who is carrying the fingerbone to use a holy Smite as an encounter power as a Cavalier of their level. I think Cadwr my friend's questing knight would enjoy a touch of the Divine in his character.

As I get more of the fingerbone detailed I will share it here. I am looking at trying the Power 2ool that the robed guy uses, to flesh it out. I am still planning to provide more details for the banking clan as well as fulling fleshing out Bristle, but those will have to wait for another week. Until next time remember don't let your DM tell you no. It's always "Yes and?..."

No comments:

Post a Comment