Friday, February 24, 2012

Saturday Chainmail: Star Wars

I have seen a lot of complaints about the portrayal of women in D and D and since I post chainmail bikinis every Saturday I thought I should make some sort of response. I give you Princess Leia Organa Solo a very strong female lead. 
"Into the Garbage Shoot Flyboys"
A princess rescue does not have to be sexist
I have not rescued a prince before in D and D and I think if I did I would end up with a lot of Monty Python references at my table. However, the last time I rescued a Princess she basically took over as soon as we let her out of the cell and she ended the session as an Empress ruling in her own right. I know the trope has been overdone, but it doesn't have to be sexist. 
"Because I am holding a thermal detonator!"
Sometimes a princess is captured because she intends to be
Luke's plan may have been insane, but Princess Leia was right where she needed to be when she was needed. 
"He doesn't know it but I am so going to choke him to death"
Sometimes you can tell what someone is thinking
Now since you have been good here is your cheesecake. I know there is a lot of misogyny in D and D and the world, but sometimes being a princess is not only ok, it's awesome. Until next time remember don't let your DM tell you no. It's always, "Yes, and...?"

No comments:

Post a Comment