Monday, February 6, 2012

Secret Warlock


As much as I wish it were an affair with a
Succubus was not in my backstory

I have recently started giving my characters background stories again. This can be a very rewarding activity particularly if you have a DM who pays attention to, and uses your backstory. Even if your DM completely ignores it though having a backstory can help you to get into the mindset of your character. Unfortunately because I haven’t been in a long running campaign for so long I have gotten out of the habit. It has been hard work getting back into it and an offhand comment to the DM while crafting Aramil’s backstory leads directly to the point of this post.

After we had recovered our crew and passed the Daughters of Sora Kell’s test, we went to confront them and also to actually open negotiations between them and our kingdom which is what we were there for. We were only able to speak with one of them.  I enjoyed the opportunity to play a little bit angry since they had kidnapped our crew. The Daughter we were able to speak to told us that she would be willing to negotiate with us, but only if we proved that our kingdom would be a valuable ally. Needless to say we were all a little irritated that we were going to be put through another test, but we had no real options.

We asked what we could do to prove our worth to the Daughters. She informed us that some of her subjects, two clans of giants, were fighting and also had somehow released a terrible plague that was ravaging themselves and was about to spread to the rest of the country. She wanted us to stop the plague, and make peace among the warring giant clans. Having little choice we agreed.

All that was left was a forest fire
It took some time, but we tracked down the creator of the plague. It turns out that he had been killed by the leader of the rival clan. After bringing him back to life we discovered that he had designed the plague to only target the rival clan, and he wasn’t sure why it was spreading. Unfotunately we had the leader of the other clan on our airship, and before we could find out more they tried to kill each other and us in the process. They almost took down our airship, but in the end we threw both of them over the side. I imagine that will have consequences later, but for now we were able to find what we needed to stop the plague. We needed the fantasy of a Gaood. Sadly, we had no idea what a Gaood was let alone how to get the fantasy of one.

I may come back to this, but to make a long story short we tracked down the Gaood to a continent on the other side of the world. We were able to get transported there by some Archons who had been tasked with guarding the secret of the plague. We were able to convince them to help us when we told them we were trying to stop the plague that the giants had released.

When we arrived we were accosted by a group of pixies with evil looking tattoos who claimed all they wanted to do was play. We tried to convince them to help us find the Gaood so we could stop the plague that was ravaging our land. They said several times that they didn’t know who the Gaood were and insisted on wanting to party. It was at this point that the DM reminded me that when I was telling her about my background I had mentioned wanting to have a party as one of my characters goals. I was not at all pleased with this turn of events. We needed to get to the Gaood and we certainly didn’t have time to have a party while the world was burning.

I wasn't fooled by you either Yoda. 
It turned out that the pixies actually were the Gaood which was not a large surprise to me. Because I had an idea that they wouldn’t help us if we didn’t give in to their request for play I agreed to sing them one song on the condition that they named us guests. In a future post I will probably talk about the idea of being sure you understand the rules behind the world before you count on them. However, what is important right now is that they, to my mind at least betrayed us as guests by enchanting most of us to make us dance while I sang. After some time trying to convince them to let us go and trying to break free of the enchantment I realized how important it is to be careful what I wish for, because I got it.

I had to leave the game right after we rolled initiative, but I am very excited to see how we are going to get out of this one. Hopefully we will find some way to get their fantasy so we can save the giants and open relations with Droamm and the Daughter’s of Sora Kell. Until next time remember, don’t let your DM tell you no. It’s always, “Yes and…?”

No comments:

Post a Comment